Adolph de Meyer was born on 1-September-1868 in Paris.
Father's name: Adolphus Meyer
Mother's name: Adele Watson
Spouse:Donna Olga Caracciolo
Baron Adolph de Meyer (Watson)
Adolph de Meyer was born on 1September-1868 on the Rue de la Fontaine, in Autueil, Paris (or perhaps Austria). His title was German as was his Jewish father, Adolphus Meyer. His mother was Scottish. He was born into wealth and educated in Germany (though he claimed French nativity). In 1893 he joined the Royal Photographic Society and moved to London in 1895. He gravitated toward London during the 1890s where his exquisite taste, fortune, and homosexuality brought him into the orbit of the Prince of Wales, whose retinue cultivated both the arts and unconventional manners. He used the surnames Meyer, von Meyer, de Meyer, de Meyer-Watson, and Meyer-Watson at various times in his life. From 1897 he was known as Baron Adolph Edward Sigismond de Meyer, though some contemporary sources list him as Baron Adolph von Meyer and Baron Adolph de Meyer-Watson. In London, On 25 July 1899 at Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, Cadogan Square, he entered into a "'marriage" with Olga Caracciolo, reputedly the illegitimate daughter of Edward VII, Prince of Wales, who acknowledged her only in the role of godfather. His portrait of his wife appears in The Photographic Times ,an illustrated monthly magazine published in New York. World War I destroyed the de Meyer family fortune, forcing Adolph and Olga to the United States where he contracted to be chief photographer. The de Meyers' marriage was one of marriage of convenience rather than romantic love, since the groom was homosexual and the bride was bisexual or lesbian. As Baron de Meyer wrote in an unpublished autobiographical novel, before they wed, he explained to Olga "the real meaning of love shorn of any kind of sensuality". He continued by observing, "Marriage based too much on love and unrestrained passion has rarely a chance to be lasting, whilst perfect understanding and companionship, on the contrary, generally make the most durable union." After the death of his wife in 1930/31, Baron de Meyer became romantically involved with a young German, Ernest Frohlich (born circa 1914), whom he hired as his chauffeur and later adopted as his son. The latter went by the name Baron Ernest Frohlich de Meyer. From 1898 to 1913 de Meyer lived in fashionable Cadogan Gardens, London, and between 1903 and 1907 his work was published in Alfred Stieglitz's quarterly Camera Work. Cecil Beaton dubbed him "the Debussy of photography". In 1912 he photographed Nijinsky in Paris. He was also the first official fashion photographer for the American magazine Vogue, appointed to that position in 1913. On the outbreak of World War I, the de Meyers, who in 1916 took the new names of Mahrah and Gayne, on the advice of an astrologer, moved to New York City, where he became a photographer for Vogue from 1913–21, and for Vanity Fair. In 1922 de Meyer accepted an offer to become the Harper's Bazaar chief photographer in Paris, spending the next 16 years there. On the eve of World War II in 1938, de Meyer returned to the United States, and found that he was a relic in the face of the rising modernism of his art.
Adolph de Meyer educated in Dresden, in Germany
Adolph de Meyer was a photographer famed for his elegant photographic portraits in the early 20th century. In the 1890s, de Meyer absorbed the pictorialist aesthetics of the international art photography movement, exhibited portraits, and was invited to join the international association of art photographers, The Linked Ring. Gravures of his photography appeared in Camera Work. In 1898 he joined the Royal Photographic Society. Elected to the Linked Ring photographic club, where his name is listed as “Baron Adolph de Meyer (Watson)” He became a photographer for Vogue from 1913–21, and for Vanity Fair in New York. In 1922 he accepted the offer of Harper's Bazaar to become its chief photographer in Paris.
Adolph de Meyer died in Los Angeles on January 6, 1949, and he was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Southern California.